Guardian FAQs:

Who can become a property Guardian?

If you are over the age of 18, have no criminal record and proof of income and can provide an employer and character reference please apply today and we will invite you in for an initial interview or a property viewing.

How do I become a Guardian?

If you fulfill the vetting criteria please fill in the Guardian application form for the property/ies of your choice. If your application has been successful one of our team will contact you for an initial meeting either at our office or on site

What are the costs involved?

When you choose to become a Guardian, you do not pay rent you pay a monthly license fee. These fees often include all utility bills and are on average 30-50% lower than local market rent. In Ireland fees vary from £40-£100 a week depending on the size of the living space and its location.

In addition we ask all Guardians to pay a fully refundable deposit of £500 for London properties and  £600 for properties outside London. Guardians pay an admin fee before moving into a property. Due to each property being different, you will be informed of these fees when invited to a viewing. 

Will Camelot accept a guarantor for Guardian's license fee payments?

As long as the Guardian is either employed or self-employed and their license fee is paid on time each month there is no problem with having a guarantor making these payments on a Guardian's behalf.

What are my responsibilities as a property guardian?

Camelot expect Guardians protect and maintain the property owners building by living there full time and taking care of the shared living space, the site and surrounding areas. If there are any maintenance issues such as leaks or broken windows we expect Guardians to report these to our team. If there are security issues, strangers on the grounds, or attempted break-ins we expect Guardians to contact Camelot via our 24/7 emergency line and the local police. We do not expect guardians to act as a security guard or any security functions other than occupying the property.

Can I share the living space with my partner?

Yes. If you would like to request to live in the same property as your friend, partner or spouse, Camelot recommends that you make this clear during the initial online application process.

Each Guardian (your friend, spouse or partner) will be required to pay an individual deposit and a admin fee. We treat every Guardian individually but in special circumstances, Camelot could give a potential discount! This arrangement is subject to approval from Camelot management. For further enquiries please email your Guardian manager or email

Are the living spaces unfurnished?

Yes all spaces come unfurnished

How long will I be able to live in the property?

We manage properties for varying lengths of time ranging from 13 weeks to 5 years. On average we manage a property for 6 months and will always endeavor to offer alternative accommodation at the point of handback.

Can I decorate the property?

On most occasions yes but each property is different and you will need written permission before starting work.

Will there be internet and phone access at the property?

Camelot does not provide internet or phone access at their properties. However, Guardians are more than welcome to ask for permission so that they can install this in the property at their own expense. If the Guardian has been given permission from Camelot to install internet and phone access then this is to be paid for by the Guardian. Guardians are also responsible for any contract they enter into while living at the property.

What is the notice period?

Camelot Europe require Guardians to provide 4 weeks’ written notice. We will provide a minimum of 4 weeks written notice to Guardians If the property is being handed back to the owner .